Art between monastery walls

The Dominican Monastery

The Dominican complex has preserved its medieval architecture, with baroque features added at the end of the 17th and beginning of 18th centuries. The friars lived in the monastery until its dissolution in 1785, when the military moved in. In 1928, museum collections were exhibited on the ground floor, and restoration started in 2011. The Renovated parts of the monastery serve as a venue for cultural events and are open to visitors.

 

Contact/Information

The Dominican Monastery

Muzejski trg 1

2250 Ptuj

 

Opening hours:

The Dominican monastery is open to visitors from 1 April to 30 September

from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 AM to 6 PM.

From 1 July to 31 August at weekend time from 10 AM TO 8 PM. 

 

        T: +386 70 180 057

        + info@dominikanskisamostan.si

  + http://dominikanskisamostan.si

  

Entrance fee: 

- adults 4 €,

- students, senior citizens and the residents of the Municipality Ptuj 2 €

- children and unemployed have free entrance

Family ticket: 9 €

 

The Dominican monastery was established in 1230 by Methildis, the widow of Friedrich III of Ptuj. She donated some land to the Dominican Order, where lavish buildings stood in the times of ancient Poetovio, where Prince Pribina’s mansion stood in the 9th century, and where buildings owned by the Lords of Ptuj stood in the 13th century. The Dominican friars built a church with a presbytery shaped like a long choir, as well as the monastery’s living quarters. The cloister got its current form in the beginning of the 15th century, however mural paintings from the 14th century and mullioned windows from the 13th century were preserved on the eastern wall.